You have options...All Free!
- Let a VITA Volunteer prepare your taxes for you at our tax site.
- Prepare your own taxes online. If you feel comfortable preparing your own returns, use the free website to e-file your Federal and State returns from the comfort of your home or office.
How Does It Work?
- Step 1- Make an appointment, preferably with the online booking tool, to avoid the delays caused by an abundance of telephone calls.
- Step 2 – Drop Off: At your visit, you’ll complete some paperwork and meet briefly with a preparer to ensure we have everything needed. We’ll scan your tax documents and transmit them to our IRS-certified volunteers who are working remotely. We’ll call you to pick up your return
- Step 3 – Return Preparation: If the preparer has further questions while completing the return, they will call you. Your return is reviewed by a second preparer for accuracy.
- Step 4 – Pick Up: At your second appointment, you’ll meet briefly with a certified preparer to review the return, get answers to any questions you have, and authorize us to electronically file the return.
Be sure to review the list of documents and bring those that apply to your situation.
How Long Does It Take?
Most returns will be completed within 72 hours.
How Is My Private Information Kept Secure?
Your tax documents are scanned to an encrypted database that has been approved by the IRS.
What You Need to Bring
To have your taxes prepared, you will need to bring:
- Tax information (W2s, 1099s, receipts for childcare or education expenses, interest statements, and other tax documents).
- Form 1095-A if healthcare coverage is through healthcare.gov.
- Last year’s return, if possible.
- Photo Identification.
- Social Security Cards or ITIN for yourself, your spouse, and your dependents (We cannot accept SSNs not appearing on official documentation).
- Bank Routing Number and Account Number(s) for direct deposit.
- CP01A Notice – IP pin (Identity Protection pin)
- Please download and complete IRS Form 13614-C prior to arriving to your first appointment, if you are able.
For more information about filing your taxes, visit our Frequently Asked Questions page or give us a call at 336-722-9400.
If you feel comfortable preparing your own returns, you can prepare your taxes online using the
IRS free website to file your return electronically from the comfort of your home or office. Go to: the IRS website to access the free filing options (https://www.irs.gov/filing/e-file-options).